Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Last day

My last day – sad!

We had planned to take a boat trip out to a small island, Île aux Moines, in the Gulf of Morbihan, as well as a 1 hour boat tour around the Gulf, but the weather was pretty on and off all day and I needed to pack, so we decided to just stay in town and have a really good lunch.

Nancy and I spent the morning strategically packing my bags, including many breakables. I’ve managed to pack everything into 3 bags plus my small purse. So my carry-on bags will be a small purse and a large soft bag full of pottery and my laptop – which is much less than most people try to carry on board so hopefully they won’t bother to weigh my pottery bag (there’s a 26 pound total limit for carry on baggage). I will have to pay a bit extra to check the second bag, but that’s no big deal (you are allowed one free checked bag) and obviously the weight limits on the checked are much higher. So it only took us a few hours to pack everything – Nancy and I have done this routine several times now so we are pros!

We had a nice long lunch at the restaurant, called Restaurant Le Vieux Quartier, in the town’s old section -- this is where we had lunch before. Le menu: Scallops in honey sauce (excellent), five kinds of fish with cabbage choucroute in butter/wine sauce (amazing); and dark chocolate tart with caramel sauce (also excellent). A very good last meal!

On the way back to camp we stopped by the pottery shop in town so I could finally decide what to buy there; I ended up buying a rectangular platter in dark turquoise decorated with celtic/Breton design.

Nancy and Jim are taking an afternoon nap. I am typing at the bar with a glass of wine. Lots of folks are here for a late afternoon beer/glass of wine as well as shelter from late afternoon showers. Think I will get a coffee as the temperature has dipped. My flight tomorrow is at 7:15am and it’s about 45 minutes to the airport, so we will be getting up very early – so I will sign off now and try to log in at the airport in Paris tomorrow.

Photos here.

No comments:

Post a Comment